Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mythbuster Kits- Forces of Flight

J5 loves his science kits. The other day he got this one out and got to work. He can do just about any part of the Mythbuster kits using the picture directions. This time he garnered much attention and his siblings were very willing to lend a helping hand!
Great kits- we have Air Pressure and a new one he hasn't received on Water.

Directions with pictures he follows quite well!

He put the straws and rubber bands on the zip line before tying off the other end.

Now he's putting the balloon in the rubberbands with his sister's help.

We had some very successful runs- they just want to make it longer to see how far it will go. After a while, they wanted to see if passengers could take a ride. How do you think this turned out?

J5 loves his science and loves to set things up and figure things out. You can hardly say no when pulls out a kit and wants to work. Sometimes he does what is called for and then will fiddle with things to see what else will work. For his birthday he's asked for the water kit along with a big stack of batteries and some other stuff. We asked him if he'd like a science birthday theme and he squealed with delight. His birthday is June 10th so that gives us some time to come up with some cool stuff.

12 comments:

Carpenters said...

This looks like fun. I was planning on doing something similar with my kiddos this next year, so I'm glad to hear that it worked well. The picture with the passenger is priceless.

Fairly local said...

Oh what fun it must be to be a home-schooled kid at your house!

Heather said...

How sweet Tracey!

Penelope- the passenger never went anywhere! It wouldn't go with the guy attached. haha

Toodlebugz said...

My son just saw one of those kits and wanted it. Now that I know how cool they are we will put those on the wish list for an upcoming birthday. Along the science line of thinking. Do you plan to do textbook science with your oldest this year or still go more along the unit study line? My dd is going into eighth grade and we have used Apologia in the past but this year she did not like all of the questions,tests & so much writing. I think I burned her out with all of those years of doing workbooks. I really just want to do unit study and make it fun for her. Any thoughts?

Heather said...

Toodlebugz-

I do not plan to use text book science!!

Now that is easy for me to say because I'm a middle and high school science teacher with an MS in curriculum and instruction.

My plan is to go with a scope and sequence for the various courses and to work through the concepts with activities, etc.

I'm a unit study girl and I do science ones all the time. I'll do a post on this soon. I'm speaking on something similar at the upcoming NY homeschooling conference.

I'm not a fan of Apologia for several reasons- one of which is that your not the first person who has mentioned boredom. ; )

Heather

Heather said...

ack...I meant "you're" not the first one to tell me that!

haha

Toodlebugz said...

Thanks for the information. I knew it could be done. Just nervous about it since I am NOT a science mom. I am willing to learn & anxiously awaiting your post. I really appreciate you taking time to answer all my questions. ;o) BTW I just received Lion Prep in the mail today and LOVE it!Thanks so much for sharing this awesome resource.

Heather said...

Wow! I'm so glad you have Lion Prep. Enjoy it! I know we are...tomorrow the kids are going to do some research build a beaver dam. : )

Heather

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

FYI..I just bought a great book for my science nut kid at a homeschool conference. It is called Einstien's Science Parties by Shar Levine/Allison Grafton. Comes filled with invitations, themes, and list of experiments to do tied to the theme. There are 15 parties in the book I think. I plan to host some over the summer for my son and his friends. We have this mythbuster kit too..my kids loved it!

Heather said...

Thanks for the tip Donna! I'll look for this book.

Heather

Carpenters said...

Heather, I saw this post about Science and Crafting and thought of you and your son's upcoming birthday party. My favorites are the Seven Layer Density Column and the UV Glowing Kryptonite Candy. I can't wait to hear how the party goes.

Heather said...

Thanks Penelope!