Monday, November 8, 2010

Cowboy Charlie

We've been spending a lot of time with the volume 4 FIAR book Cowboy Charlie by Jeanette Winter. I8 is having a year of adventure in his homeschool and this book is providing a lot of topics to investigate. He has been working on notebook pages of all kinds of people from old west times/the time of westward expansion in the US. And he's been doing a lot of reading!

He uses Draw Write Now to make some drawings and do copywork. Now he's also making his own drawings and narrations after reading. Isn't that a nice drawing of Lewis and Clark?

I8 made a list of the things he could explore from Cowboy Charlie according to the suggestion in the manual.

The kids have been doing a lot of pioneer log building!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Heather,
Congratulations on all your nominations!!!
Wondering what kind of notebook that is that I8 is using for his notebooking and beautiful drawings? And where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?
Needing something like that for my 9 yo. this year.
Thanks!

Heather said...

I made the paper using StartWrite software. Then I had the double sided paper bound at staples for that particular notebook.

I love StartWrite!

Thanks for visiting. nice to see you Shannon!

Heather

Shannon said...

Thanks, Heather! I'll have to think about investing in StartWrite. I've had it on my wishlist for years and just never bit the bullet. :)

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday, Heather! The blog makeover looks wonderful. :)
May I ask a couple more StartWrite questions? Just downloaded the demo/trial version. What size font did you use for I8's DrawWriteNow journal? Also, the demo version does some glitchy things every now and then. Does the paid version act weird at times?
Thanks so much for your help!!