Thursday, April 29, 2010

TOS Crew Review: The Travels of Wiglington and Wenks Virtual World

As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I was given temporary access to Wiglington and Wenks- a virtual world for kids.

From the website: The Travels of Wiglington and Wenks Virtual World is an exciting new massive online virtual world for kids where players can travel to places around the world, through time and space, meet famous historical people, play fun enriching games, make new friends own exotic islands, build culture-inspired houses, wear all kinds of cool clothing and costumes, explore secret locations, solve ancient mysteries and become a legendary traveler!

My kids have spent some time safely wandering around in this virtual world and they've discovered some fun places- just not the super educational ones.

The cost is free to go on there and there are membership options from $2.99 to $59.99 depending on the length of your membership and the options you choose.

I really like the idea of the virtual world where kids can interact with history and places around the world. However, this one is missing some key security features that are important like turning off the chat room options.

However, I will say my kids had a hard time getting around in there and given the time I allowed the to spend on it, they did not end up discovering much except silly games. In fairness, we've been reviewing quite a lot of computer material and this one was just a bit harder to navigate I think. So, my kids didn't make as much of an effort.

If you are in the market for a virtual world for kids for their computer time, I recommend trying Wiglington and Wenks with some guidelines from you. I think, given enough time, it would be a really worthwhile experience for whatever media time your kids have.

No comments: