Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cave Study Resources

(Luray Caverns- Luray, Virginia)

Here are a some websites I found which will give you some good pictures of caves or some fun information. The USGS (United States Geological Survey) has a great website full of really nice lesson plans for teachers. We've been reading Angus Lost and talking about cave formations and having a really good time at it.

Show Cave Directory

The Virtual Cave


Exploring Caves USGS teacher packet. This is what I'm using for the bulk of our cave study. It's put together really well with a fictional story they authored that leads you through all aspects of caves.

National Caves Association- gives facts about caves and a state by state look at where the caves are. There's a nice cave science section as well.

Have you ever watched Dragonfly TV? Our kids love this science documentary program with kids as hosts and investigators. I remember watching an episode with a segment on caves. So...I did a little detective work and found myself praising the internet! I can't tell you how awesome it is to have this stuff at your fingertips. The kids couldn't wait to watch the kids explore the cave again.

More Than Skin Deep (A Teacher's Guide to Caves)-this one has a lot of resources and lessons on caves and bats.

That last one is a link from a section of website for the National Science Teachers Assocation (NSTA) of which I am a former member. Turns out they have a lot going on over there to look at and use in SciLinks. How did I EVER manage to teach anything without the internet? Probably a lost art in the classroom teaching world for sure.

Books on Hand:
  • The Magic School Bus Inside the Earth by Joanna Cole
  • Caves by Jenny Wood
  • The Usborne First Encyclopedia of Our World
The Exploring Caves unit mentioned above is really very good. We've had a lot of good discussions and I'm looking forward to doing more with the kids. When we've produced more to look at I will share with them with you. Of course.

For now enjoy the resources. That way the post won't be gigantic when I post some progress.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Can I just say that I am SO GLAD that you have kids roughly my kids' ages so I can ride on your coat tails?!
Smiles and thanks,
Valerie

Shonda said...

Very cool!