Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Painting the Dollhouse

Now that the new walls are in and the holes filled in and sanded, it is time to paint! I started repainting the house a few days ago and tonight R7 helped me out with some first coatings. She was delighted to try and make nice even strokes. I know she is having a grand time working on this with me- and that's what it's all about!

We decided together on a color change for the homestead. It used to be white and lavender (the purple was on the roof and the outline on the front). Now the roof is fuschia (not too unlike R7's pants up there) and the trim is lime green. She decided she wants the horizontal pieces going across lime green as well. Plus, I will do the side panels in fuschia. I kept painting this evening so we're nearly done. Over the next couple of nights I will be finished the final coats. I used acrylic paints so I'm toying with the idea of coating the whole house in modpodge. If any dollhousers out there have an opinion on this, please let me know. I'm going for less furniture marking which happened easily last time we painted.

We have the backing to the house, so hopefully this weekend we can convince Dan to get to it! This has been a fun project to work on together and it's just cool to see this house, which R7 has had since she was 2, come to life in a new and meaningful way.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Alana - The Mommy said...

I usually use a clear acrylic spray enamel on all of my wood crafts. You might remember the shine on the train ornament from Christmas. That was painted with acrylics and then sprayed with clear semi-gloss acrylic spray paint. Maybe that will work with your dollhouse.

Mary said...

We are going to join in on the year of the dollhouse. I was just given a free unfinished dollhouse from someone in my town! Yours is looking great!

Lynn Hasty said...

Oooooh, sounds like fun! Can I come over? :)

Isn't this the grandest time? I love the photo of her painting.

Lynn