Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Little Nino's Pizzeria: Nutrition

J5 and I8 worked on a food pyramid activity two weeks ago. We did lots of pizza science and nutrition with  this book. I cut up a grocery flyer and had them sort out the food into their categories. Have you seen the newest food pyramid? They don't even label the stuff you aren't supposed to eat anymore...and see the guy running up the side? That's to remind us to have better eating- one step at a time. I rather like the "four food groups" death chart I grew up with...



This worksheet link takes you to a set of sheets that help your student to determine his own habits from the day before. It's a pretty interesting exercise and raises awareness of proper portions.

Food Pyramid Worksheet

We had a great time with this unit. I'm thinking of all sorts of ways I can use the grocery flyers! In the kids' notebooks, we stored these in library pockets labeled with each food group.

2 comments:

Fairly local said...

What a clever idea.

Kisha said...

Neat way to make learning relevant! I would have never thought to do that.