Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Monday Math Moments

We've been working through some measurement and geometry recently during math. I8 has been working reading quarter inches in the ruler. Today he worked on adding fractional parts to determine the length he was measuring. I pulled out the fraction disks because he was having a bit of trouble with 1/2 and 1/4 making 3/4 inches. This paper is from Math Mammoth Measuring 1(the blue series) which I reviewed last year as part of the crew.

Understanding fractional parts


Monopoly Jr is a great early math game- J5 did some super Kindergarten math yesterday adding his money to give to other players and requesting rent for touring his fossils.

We've also been playing some math games. I played Monopoly Jr last night with J5 and I8 and was promptly eliminated. Monopoly Jr is great for emerging math skills but low on strategy! So, if the dice rolls do not go your way, your game can be over fairly quickly. This edition is a Digging Dinos version where you are a paleontologist and collect fossils. This is from E12's earlier days when he was head over heels in love with all things dinosaur! It made me laugh to think how much each child is different. Having three boys, I thought sure one of them would love dinosaurs as much. But no...I also have a collection of super hero stuff, knights and castles... the list goes on.

No comments: