Friday, November 26, 2010

Outdoor Hour Challenge #6- Queen Anne's Lace

We are slowly but steadily getting these Outdoor Hour Challenges completed. I had saved a sprig of Queen Anne's lace from one of my morning walks and it had been on my counter for at least a month. Finally! The time was right for the study last week. This is a great weed to read about in the Handbook of Nature Study. We learned how this plant has been so successful AND we learned how it got its name which is what R10 wanted to know!

R10's sketches- we had one flower that had gone to see and one on the same plant that still had its flowers when I picked it.

E12's sketch- he does not enjoy the sketching, but this is one of his nicest ones!

Did you know that there can be over 700 "fruits" on one these?? Just one of the several reasons this weed does so well. We learned that winter is not so hard on Queen Anne's Lace because it is biennial. Some seeds germinate in the fall and send down a tap root so it has a head start on plants in the spring.

We used Barb's notebook pages from the series to create this page of the stages complete with a sketch in the corner. 

Although Barb has been working on comparing in this series, I chose to just focus on this one weed this time. We actually did the autumn observations challenge on the same day so I will share those next. I have really enjoyed the nature studies this fall and I plan to continue on with the series from last winter. We do our nature studies on Fridays typically and it is a great way to inject some life science into our week- no matter what our unit studies hold.

1 comment:

Barb said...

It is amazing how many seeds there are on one flower head...we had a hard time counting and just ended up estimating when we did our study. I can hardly wait for next year's crop....too cold here right now for me.

I think it was a great idea to do your journals with the images and the sketches. Perfect.

Thanks so much for sharing your link with the OHC.