Monday, May 31, 2010

TOS Crew Review: The Great Latin Adventure



As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I was sent to keep The Great Latin Adventure Levels 1 and 2 from Classical Legacy Press.

The Great Latin Adventure Level I is designed for beginning students in grades 4-6. It has a friendly style with fun sentences to translate. It has Christian content in the classical pronunciation.

The scope of Level I includes:
  • Conjugating first conjugation verbs in the present tense
  • decline first declension nouns
  • translate lively sentences
  • translate from and into Latin
  • and more!
In Level 2 students will learn new noun cases and new verb tenses, etc that allow them to do translation of rich sentences. At the end of Level II your student will be able to:
  • know hundreds of Latin vocabulary words
  • be familiar with many english derivatives
Students will be able to translate sentences with:
  • complementary infinitives
  • direct and indirect objects
  • imperfect and future tense verbs
  • prepositions taking the accusative
    case
  • the ablative of means—an advanced
    construction
  • possessive nouns
  • and more!
The cost for The Great Latin Adventure is $30.00 for the teacher's manuals without the binder included and $15.00 for the student booklets unbound. You can pay $7 to $10 more for the binder to be included.

I'm excited to try The Great Latin Adventure! I was given both levels because my kids had already begun Latin prior to this review process. I'm anxious to give it more of a try as our school year begins again and see how the kids like it compared to the current program we use.

The authors of the program are very nice to work with and are very willing to help out with any questions you have. I had not heard of this particular Latin product and I really like what I see so far.

If you've considered studying Latin in your homeschool, I suggest without hesitation that you try The Great Latin Adventure. The translations are fun and the price is fairly nominal compared to other foreign language programs.

No comments: