Monday, February 1, 2010

Writing Ideas and Progress

Just some random writing assignments to share here with you all...

I7 (our resident leftie) gets to choose from the Draw Write Now volumes and use one selection per day. So, he does his artwork and then writes the four sentences. I really like this for the consistency and he likes making choices.

Each day R9 writes something. Lately it's been using cards I give her with words on them and she has to write a sentence with each word. She likes to lay them all out and form a theme then she puts them back into the pocket and chooses one at a time. She's also been doing some letter writing- mostly thank you notes.


Once R9 has done her assignment, I edit it and we talk about the changes. And there will be some. You can see on this day we went over some homonyms (where, wear, ware) and she had to look up ware. She uses the dictionary for correcting the misspellings and writes a final draft. Sometimes I look for the final draft on the same day and sometimes I do not.
We work in the wide-ruled loose leaf with R9 now. She will do several drafts and then she copies it over onto a separate loose leaf. I'm planning on putting those final drafts together into a portfolio of some kind.

Now that R9 isn't using handwriting paper, she appears to be a tiny writer. I didn't see that coming at all. You can see I like to use the space given to me.

3 comments:

Fairly local said...

Heather, I love this! Please write a book.

Debi said...

Hi Heather,

Just wondering where you get the books with the blank and lines?

Great ideas.

Heather said...

Hi Debi,

I make those book using the StartWrite program.

I print bunches any way I'd like and then I bind them. I like taking the writing notebooks to Staples for their spiral binding.

There's a link for StartWrite in my sidebar, but here's a link for you to see all the things we do with it.

http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/2009/01/startwrite.html

Thanks!