Saturday, November 28, 2009

Poem of Thanks

So, I found this idea for Thanksgiving Poems at Let's Explore. I knew it would be fun to try it at our house. When the kids were finished writing their poems though, they were too long to follow the original idea of putting the poem inside a large leaf shape. So, I modified.

The kids used a writing template to do their poems.

I am thankful for _____ and ______ .

I'm really thankful for ________.

I'm thankful for ________. (repeat this as many times as you need)

But most of all I'm thankful for ______.

The three older kids wrote this out for themselves which went very well even for I7. J4 dictated his list to me which he was very eager to do.

Then I stalled for a few days because I needed to figure out how I would do it differently. Here are the results and because I love my new little phone and its video capabilities, you get a new video!




I used these Tupperware templates for the leaf shapes. I traced them onto the backing of contact paper and then cut them out to put on the edges of the watercolor paper.

I7 's design- we used tube watercolor's which are always so vibrant.

J4 colored only around the leaves which made a nice final design.

After the paint was dry, I peeled away the contact paper.

The finished product- not all the gallery frames are the same size and I didn't cut the paper down ahead of time.

We put the poems in the middle. The original idea had the poem printed on the watercolor paper, but the paper I have is too big for the printer so again we modified.

close-ups- didn't J4's leaf only design turn out cool?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just watched your video and I need to say, you don't sound anything like I thought you would. Don't ask me how I created a Dubya voice in my head, because I wasn't aware that I had.

Then I watched the video.

I'm adjusting to my new reality. But I'm taking it slow.

Jana

Heather said...

ha! Jana...it's gonna be ok. Should I try a new voice next time?

Anonymous said...

They turned out beautifully! :)

Samantha said...

What a fabulous project! I started reading your blog about a month ago and I always enjoy your posts.
Samantha

Heather said...

Thank you Sam and Amy!!

Ticia said...

I love the idea of using stencils to paint. I'll have to try my kids on those someday soon.