Wednesday, October 14, 2009

He's Crested the Hill of Beginning Reading...

And he's started to enjoy the lifelong ride down the other side!


It happened! All of a sudden. Just this week. Just like I was sure it would. I7 is reading all on his own "big" books! He's been reading Magic Treehouse books and Easy Reader Classic books all.week.long. Everywhere he goes he has a book with a bookmark and his reading timer. To catch all those minutes


The new Reading Made Easy workbook exercises are working out really well for I7. They have been wonderful for that little bit of extra reading and writing practice.


Congratulations I7!! Welcome to the world of independent reading!

6 comments:

Fairly local said...

Way to go! It is always fun when they really read on their own.

SC said...

Yay!!!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Congratulations! What a glorious day!

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

Congratulations! Just curious..how exactly old is he? Like...just turned 7...7 1/2 or close to 8. This is my first time to teach a child to read...and I find I am nervous...but I think my son is doing well for his age. Just today he read for the first time a whole Dr. Seus book...Green Eggs and Ham (he really read it..he had to sound out words.) I only had to help him read the word "anywhere" He is 6 1/2...so by what age..should he likely be reading on his own things like Magic tree house books??? I am just looking for a gage idea to calm my fears. I am simply assuming him reading what he has is right on par?? Yes? No? I get that kids are different..I just what to feel I am on the right track..or pace.

Heather said...

Hey Donna-

I7 will be 7.5 in December. He has a June birthday.

All kids are different, but what I can tell you is that when it clicks IT CLICKS. That has been true for all of my kids. The first two clicked earlier than I7- at 5 and 6 respectively. I7 was doing lessons just fine, but really picking up a book on his own and reading it just wasn't happening until now.

Now I KNOW it has clicked because today during his lesson he just FLEW through the story and words. FLEW.

I'm telling you...you will KNOW when it happens. I think your son is just fine.

Heather

Dana said...

Loving it!! One day they are resisting and the next they can't put a book down. My son's love of reading started with Magic Tree House too.