Monday, June 8, 2009

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!

I offered to read to J3 during a fussy moment this morning...then he wanted to listen to the songs...then we made a coconut tree...remember when I said it was time to do that again?! Here is a glimpse at our morning of fun.

In our listening corner we have lots of books on CD, some bird call CDs, and even books their grandparents have read onto a CD. Very fun. I picked up the Chicka, Chicka recording from a Scholastic Flyer and it has a fun reading by Ray Charles and some songs from the author John Archumbault. After I read the book and J3 had fun naming the letters, we listened to the CD while we made our cocunt tree. Preschool moments from heaven!

For the coconut tree you definitely need some butcher roll paper. I use this for lots of murals and for lots of other things including homemade wrapping paper. I got mine from Discount School Supply. I like the 50lb weight paper because it can handle wet media.

We laid out our supplies. There was a bit of preschool rockin' out to the Chicka Chicka CD.

R9 cut out the stem from long brown construction paper. J3 helped to place it.

R9 worked on the coconuts.

J3 traced the letter A to get us on the way. We put the few letters we did today up on the tree after I took the next picture. Oh and that monkey in the photo was made and it will go up the tree tomorrow at J3's request.

The duo takes a step back and checks out their hard work. Yes...a fine coconut tree.
As the week goes on we'll add more letters, Wednesday he'll open those fun letter sand molds, and we can even watch Chicka, Chicka (another Scholastic purchase). We'll probably try a few things from Picture Book Activities by Trish Kuffner.

6 comments:

Dana Leeds said...

Oh, I LOVE Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! I read it over & over to my daughter when she was little. I can't wait until my nephew is old enough to enjoy it - I'll have to help him make a coconut tree! (And, yours turned out GREAT!)

Debi said...

That looks like so much fun. How wide is your paper? Looks like I might have to get this with the CD next trip to Barnes and Noble. Is the music on the book CD or is it a separate CD?
Will you take a picture of the tree with monkey on it? Thanks.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I'm tucking it away for future reference for my 3 1/2 year old when older sis begins K this fall!

Rachel said...

Heather - where did you get the paper roll holder/cutter/roller thingie? I'd love to get one of those!

Heather said...

Rachel,

Discount School Supply. Just check the link in the text of the post. ; )

Heather

Unknown said...

Thanks Heather! When I clicked on the DSS link, it didn't take me there. At first, I didn't click on the butcher paper link. I found it now. Now, I really want the 4 butcher paper roll holder. Dh will never go for that but I think I can convince him to get the one you have.