Monday, October 22, 2007

Postcard Exchange!


The US Map with a postcard border. Check out the major league baseball teams on the map and the site word worm above the postcards!

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but seeing these the other day reminded me about our postcard exchange. This year it took place a few months ago. Through the FIAR boards we get a list of families willing to be a part of the exchange and on a designated date we mail them out to the people on the list. They are from all over the country sometimes from outside the country. This year we hit almost thirty. Last year we sent out 50 cards and almost 50 came back to us. It is a really good time to share facts about our region and the kids love seeing the mailbox full for a week or two.

I took last year's cards and put them into a small photo album for the kids to flip through and this year we decided to hang them up around the map. When they come down in a bit, we'll add them to the little album. I know they'll come in handy during some US study at some point and we can make a fun game from them.

The postcard exchange is a favorite of ours, but we've also done a Flat Stanley exchange (too bad I wasn't blogging yet for that one!) and each year we do a FIAR ornament exchange. This year we are signed on and making ornaments to go along with The Duchess Bakes a Cake. Last year I even put up our little Christmas tree and filled it just with FIAR ornaments. They aren't breakable so it was perfect for upstairs! I'll be sure to blog this year's creation.

No comments: