Friday, September 21, 2012

Beyond Five in a Row: Thomas Edison

I was packing up last year's work last week and binding it with our ProClick for storage when I ran across all these terrific notebook pages from some of the Beyond Five in a Row units the kids did last year. I couldn't resist sharing them and adding to my Beyond category. So, here's a look at the unit R12 and I10 did last fall on Thomas Edison from Beyond Five in a Row.

I generally follow the lessons in the manual and typically I choose one long and one short activity per chapter. There's so much to choose from, but I go with what the student is most interested in and what skill they need to work on- it's a mix. I've been using Beyond Five in a Row in our homeschool since E14 was 7 yrs old! Thomas Edison is one of our favorites.

One lesson was about naming a house- at the time we were contracted on a beautiful home on 10 acres. The kids were busy thinking up names for it. We had to let that one go, but we haven't named this beautiful home yet. We'll have to think on that1

R12's (then 11) list of all the kinds of transportation she has used.

This is a map from the BYFIAR manual and it was just the beginning of our study of the Great Lakes Region.

Here's a glimpse of the mapping assignment I gave the kids on the start of Thomas Edison's life. I like to make the list right on the back of the map and let them work.

It only takes a few minutes to put together. Number three there produced some fun notebooking pages.

R12 isn't afraid to make her own illustrations for a topic.

What's not to love about this free hand Michigan?

I did sneak in this notebook page...the reference...this one might be one of Jimmie's Notebook Fairy pages! It's been too long for me to remember...

I10 (then 9) did a nice job finding images on the internet and making his own notebooking pages about canals. We've been to see the Rideau Canal which runs from the St. Lawrence Seaway up to Ottawa.

They made a list of the canals they knew about and did some reading about each one. I think this fourth grade boy did a terrific job!

This cloud web seemed like a great way to name some things going on while Thomas Edison was alive.

Another place for I10 (then 9) to tell about Thomas Edison

He listed some important things about Tom and his life on this cloud.

Notice the liberal use of plain loose leaf notebook paper. In a few weeks, the new 10 Days Series from iHN will be out and my topic is going to be 10 Ways in 10 Days to Use an Ordinary Piece of Notebook Paper. I'll be sharing lots of ideas on how we use plain notebook paper in our homeschool.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stopping by for the first! Still going to spend some time reading! What a great blog you write! We have kiddos similar ages - 9th, 5th and 2nd. Thanks for sharing your schooling and life!