Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Outdoor Hour Challenge #4: Apples

I've mentioned before that I purchased the Fall 2010 Outdoor Hour Challenges from Barb over at the Handbook of Nature Study blog. This has been a great way to get some consistent nature study in along with some extra art and science.This week the topic was apples.

All set- we are comparing Ida Reds to Crispins

I cut the apples in half to see the center- J5 gave me some ideas to write down for his Venn diagram.

J5 did a great job with his drawings, don't you think?

R10's drawings

Here are my masterpieces...do you have any idea how much fun blender colored pencils are??? The kids helped me to make the list of describing words for my apples.

We had a great time enjoying the apples after we observed them. This was also a fun study for J5's Apple Pie weeks. This series has been focusing on comparing which is a great skill to practice with the kids. And who doesn't love a good Venn diagram?? We're talking graphic organizers here!! E12 and I8 also participated although art is very effortful for E12. We are working on that. He is a good sport though and I think he does a great job when he's in the mood for an art challenge.

In addition to these Outdoor Hour Challenges, we've been making some other nature observations- having to do with birds! Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great notebook pages! Love the contour of the apples and yes, I love the blender pencils. :)

Barb said...

I have never had an Ida Red before. There are just so many apples to try! I love seeing how each family is customizing their apple study to fit their local apples and tastes.

Thanks for sharing the notebook pages and your Venn Diagram. :)