Saturday, March 20, 2010

TOS Crew Review: Pandia Press




As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I was given a copy of Pandia Press' Chemistry Curriculum entitled REAL Science Odyssey- Chemistry. I had a choice of biology, earth science or chemistry and I let the publisher choose outside of biology (just because that is what my certification is in). So, chemistry it is!

The program is set up to have a read aloud story which presents a concept followed by 1-4 (or more) hands on activities to help develop the concept. Each lab exercise emphasizes the scientific method and comes with worksheets.

Topics Covered in REAL Science Odyssey- Chemistry include:
  • What is Chemistry?
  • Atoms
  • Periodic Table of Elements
  • Molecules
  • Matter
  • Chemical Reactions
Each of those topics has many sub-topics to fill the big picture of each concept. On this page you can see a listing of the activities and the materials list.

This is chemistry level I and is best suited for grades 2-5. Each year is a complete one year science curriculum.

Chemistry Level I is available in print form at Rainbow Resource for $38.50. The ebook student pages are available through the Pandia Press site for $38.99 and provide interactive fields for use with the computer. The ebook is intended for those who already own the manual.

I think this is a terrific curriculum! It is very similar to the way I taught physical science to 6th graders. We used to see what the kids knew about a concept through labs, develop correct conceptions with more labs, and finally we applied the new knowledge in still more labs.

It is designed to be part of the classical approach to homeschooling providing a one year discipline experience. I would use this as I need it as another tool in my science teaching toolbox. There a lot of fun hands on activities in this program with easy to follow instructions which typically yield good results every time.

If you want a full year long science curriculum or just want to add to your science arsenal, you cannot miss with this program. It gets my certified science educator seal of approval and I'm looking forward to using it with my kids!


No comments: