Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TOS Crew Review: Sense and Sensibility Patterns


I was excited to try out this e-class from Sense and Sensibility Patterns. With R9 being such a little seamstress I thought this would be a fun diversion for us. Jenny at Sense and Sensibility has created patterns for period womens and girls clothing from the regency through the swing eras including the Edwardian era.

The pattern and class we are taking is for a Girls Edwardian Apron.

This class will walk you through all of the steps to successfully create your garment, including the
following:

• Selecting material
• Taking correct measurements
• Creating master pattern pieces
• Cutting out the garment
• Assembling your garment, step-by-step

The idea is to use the pattern to make the apron using an e-class format which consists of pdfs with detailed pictures and accompanying audio. You must make the pattern yourself using the instructions making sure that your printer is calibrated to the right size printing first.

So far the instructions are easy to follow and I'm eager to continue making our own apron. There's even a pattern for adults if this one turns out well.

With summer and three camping trips and life in general, our good intentions to actually produce our own apron have come up short of the review deadline!

However, I will provide a peak at R9's fabric and notion selection and I promise some updates as we make progress.


I can say, without a doubt, that this is a terrific product if you enjoy the idea of sewing projects but have trouble with the details. I really do enjoy sewing, but most of my success thus far has been with pattern free items. I just like to make it up and see what happens! Mostly this is because then I can't fail by messing up a pattern and I have some issues when it comes to spatial orientation. That's putting it mildly. The visual and auditory accompaniment to this pattern is really nice especially for someone who is a novice and/or spatially challenged. Like me.

Pricing:
  • The class with the e-pattern is $24.95
  • Package pattern with cover is $12.95 plus shipping
  • Pattern download is $7.95
  • The class if you already have the pattern is $19.95


Finished front

Finished back

No comments: