Friday, August 7, 2009

Math Teachers at Play #13


Lots going on in the math world this week. Let's see if I can get the hang of this carnival thing!

Kendra at the Pumpkin Patch shares with us her Money Math activity with her kids. It makes me hungry for felt food at our house!

Dan at mathrecreation shows us geometrical window patterns. If your kids like tissue paper and shapes this would be great fun.

I Want to Teach Forever tells us all about discrete math for the high school student. I should let Dan have a crack at the four color theory over there.

I thought the Five Cards Trick at Watch Math was a fun one. My kids really enjoyed the card tricks shown in the book Cool Math so see what you think.

John at math hombre tells us about two money games- Change for the Better and Make It, Take It. Both of them look like great fun. Kendra before you leave your money unit, you'd better check this on out!

Maxell's Demon tells us more about the Use of Mathematics and Hyperscopes. I don't know much about this, but the pictures are cool! Plus, I've now been educated on what a hyperscope is- a hyberbolic kaleidoscope.

If Jimmie had not chosen to participate in this carnival, I was planning to grab something from her Living Math category which I love so much. Check out the work she and her daughter did with Platonic Polyhedra. Truly enjoyable to see! I love the chart she keeps to go with the lesson.

At Pat's Blog there is an explanation of multiplying and dividing fractions in Ours is Not to Reason Why, Just Flip and Multiply. and near as I can tell, there's a history lesson that goes along with it with a reference to finding the common denominator when dividing fractions- way back in a long time ago time. I tell ya...mathematicians are very serious people with a political bent and intensity unmatched.

Although Darwin's Finance offers consumer advice and isn't necessarily of interest to the general math teacher type, I couldn't resist this post- Mean-Median Explained: Know the Difference or Risk Being Manipulated. I used to teach a lot of statistics to middle schoolers and specifically finding mean and median and what they represent. I know many adults who miss the boat on this one so enjoy this quick lesson.

Another one for the more advanced math student in your life- Visualizing Numbers Real and Imaginary at Matt-a-matical Thinking. It's a video showing how this teacher introduces imaginary numbers to his students.

Now for a few of the ones I found in my travels recently- Teach Mama has a lot going on for young kids including Backyard Number Boxes. If you have trouble with that link just hit her math category and take it all in on the way to that post!

Another one for you lapbookers out there Carisa at 1+1+1=1 has a money lapbook you will enjoy.

And finally, one last shout out to Critical Thinking Puzzles...a place where you can go daily to get a new puzzle. This is super math journal fodder. I'm just sayin'.

Enjoy the Carnival and thanks for letting me host!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great carnival Heather. Your blog is such an inspiration.
Heather B in MS

Donna(mom24boyz) said...

Wow, lots of great links. I will be spending all day soaking it up! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Well, I'm so glad I popped over here. This was the BEST Math Teachers at Play Carnival ever. And it's not just because you said such sweet things about my blog posts. Well, maybe that is the reason. But it's still a great carnival. :-)

I've subbed to the Critical Thinking Puzzles. Thanks. Added a book to my wishlist. Thanks. And bookmarked some really nifty blog posts.

Heather said...

Yay!! Thanks for visiting my blog Jimmmie!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting the carnival together. I enjoyed my break from housework to go browsing.

I had a little bit of trouble finding the Backyard Number Boxes post. Teach Mama's blog has a funny habit of only showing the home page address in my browser. Here is the complete URL:
http://teachmama.blogspot.com/2009/04/backyard-number-boxes.html

Heather said...

Thanks Denise...that's why I told folks to hit her math label and scroll a bit. I could not get it to give me a direct link.

Kylie said...

What a fabulous post, thanks so much. Starting a Math Journal is also on my list because of yoru inspiration, thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

nice blog...

http://puzzles4you.blogspot.com/