Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cool Dad Homeschooling Moments...

Sorry for the blogging delay! It's been a busy MOPS week...or I should say a busy week catching up on life after a busy MOPS week. Hopefully, I'm back in the groove.

So, Dan brought home some temperature probes from work. They are one time use boxes that come with a chemical that must be kept above freezing. So there is a chart inside that records the temperature during the trip. When it arrives, Dan cracks open the case to see if the temp dipped below freezing. If it has, they return the chemical.

One day a whole bunch of boxes arrived with the detectors but only one needed to be opened so Dan brought the rest home for the kids.

It runs on a battery.
Here's where the temperature is recorded.
Here's the coil which is a bi-metal strip (no I didn't know that, but E10 remembered and he just told me...see a good lesson!)

Dan heats up the bi-metal strip to show the kids how it will move. The strip has two metals in it and one wants to expand more than the other. Since it can't go anywhere like it normally does (being attached to the other metal) it puts more curl in the coil. This moves a plastic thing attached to the scratch paper and it makes marks. And that is how it records the temperature! Again, E10 just provided that review.

The kids put these boxes in a few places around the house- one went in the attic, one in the freezer and one in the frig. They opened them up to check out the readings.
The one in the middle shows you how they are all rolled up before you pull them to check on them. Click on the picture below and see if you can figure out which one is which!
The kids decided to move them again so one is in the car, one is in our basement, and the last one is in the boys' room.

Another fine adventure in what Dad thinks is cool for the homeschool!


5 comments:

Kari Dana said...

That is SO cool! :)

Just wanted to let you know that I left a little blogging award for you at my blog just so you know I love reading your blog! :)

Dana

Sugga Mama said...

As I was reading your post my Elijah who is 9 came up and started reading it also.

He wants to know if we can go to your house so he can really see this.

I had to tell him you are way to far from Louisiana for us to just drop by.

Dana Leeds said...

What a neat "gadget!" And, that's cool that dad has such neat things to work with... and bring home to share!

Thanks for sharing with us,too.

Your dh said...

If you want your own temperature recorder, they can be found at:
http://www.labsafety.com/Disposable-Temperature-Recorder_24551432/

Or, you can try to find someone you know who works with chemicals and see if they ever receive temperature sensitive goods...

Gingerbread Mommy said...

This is not a comment directly about this blog, but I didn't see a general comment link. It seems like everytime I google something fun,cool,homeschool-related, your blog pops up. Just wanted to let you know, that I am very impressed, and I really love your blog! I just became your follower so I can keep up to date and use your fabulous ideas!!