Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Adventure Box 2

R8 has chosen animals and habitats for her adventure box this summer. Around here there is no shortage of information on animals!! E9 was into all kinds over the years so she has a lot of material to sort through.
Here are some sources for her adventure...

We added these nature handbooks to our collection two years ago and we've had a good time identifying local animals.

We have quite the collection of Usborne resources on the topic-

This DK Encyclopedia is a household favorite. Noah's Ark was a $1 at a Scholastic sale a few years ago. I'm just now pulling it out and chances are that J2 will be enjoying it because he has a new found fascination with Noah and his Ark. Shark Escape is just one of many Magic School Bus and Magic Treehouse books the we have on hand. R8 will be reading a ton of these for certain.

Fact books about habitats and animals

African savannas and The Ocean are two habitats she wants to learn about. We have many books in the series below about individual animal families. She's going to start with the grassland animals. We're going on safari!

I found them! These were hiding for a day while I remembered where I had stashed them. R8 gets to work on the animal sticker atlas and of course some origami animals.

Here we have another papercraft book on animals and other things plus the animal stencil book. We have many stencils to choose from in the stencil drawer as well.
Now that you've seen some of the resources on animals and habitats, I'll list some of the exciting things R8 will do throughout the summer.

  • lots and lots of animal art (all media, stencils, habitat pics, etc.)
  • sticker books
  • dioramas- of course...who can wait?! (any Simpson's fans out there?)
  • animal puppets- make some more with me
  • habitat murals- I'm thinking a nice rainforest will be lovely
  • share new information with us at the dinner table
  • Sculpey animals
  • Perler bead animals- beads put on a template and then ironed to fuse together

3 comments:

Jen said...

I want that box! : )

Cin said...

Forget wanting to be like you when I grow up, I want to be your kids! How blessed they are to have your creativity at their disposal!

Amber said...

I am very impressed! I may have to try this box idea next year. Can I come play with you guys this summer?? :)