Thursday, April 3, 2008

Waffles!

I finally took the plunge and made waffles without Dan around on a weekday. I did have to call him and clarify one thing, but I did it! Now I know that I can and while our griddle is broken I can make waffles regularly. Our recipe is from Alton Brown of course! The waffles are just as good as the pancakes and I took some pictures for you.

The Recipe

4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
2 tbsp sugar
6 eggs
32 oz buttermilk

Melt butter and allow eggs and buttermilk to come to room temperature. Whisk together the dry ingredients. Beat eggs and then slowly add butter while stirring. Stir in buttermilk. Finally pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Let the batter rest for five minutes.

Use a cookie dough scoop to put the batter on the waffle iron. Leave on the iron for desired doneness and then transfer to warm oven rack while you make more! Yummy for the whole family.

You can make this with any portion of whole wheat flour, but I find them to be bitter that way. The recipe above is also the doubled version and makes about 14 or 15 waffles.


The batter- let rest five minutes and DON'T over stir!

Dueling waffle irons. To make this work I have to use a thick extension cord for one of them. The power of the waffle iron demands that they use different circuits!

Yes, a scoop is necessary- runny batter makes yucky waffles and pancakes.

Don't they look great? Now I just need to take some time to make tons and freeze them for a quicker breakfast on hurried mornings. We do have those on occasion.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummmm They sure look yummy! Can we have some when we come up?
love, Grandma

deleise said...

I'm gonna have to try this one. Wish we had dualing irons. One does just not get it done for a fam of 6.